A Blog By Any Other Name

it's about crochet ..... it's about writing ....

My Photo
Name:
Location: California

Part of me is a wife and mom, part of me is a writer and poet and part of me is still a kid in jeans tooling around in my VW Beetle listening to Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, James Taylor ... and The Beatles ...

Friday, November 22, 2013

Do you remember ...

The story of Raggedy Ann is a sad one.

Johnny Gruelle, a writer and illustrator, created the Raggedy Ann stories when his daughter was ill.  The rag doll may have been inspired by a doll his daughter found in her grandmother's attic.  It was a simple rag doll without a face.  As the story goes, he drew a face on the doll and Grandma made a new dress.  The face he drew on the doll became the face of Raggedy Ann.  Sadly, he daughter died but he did publish his stories and he applied for a patent in 1915 for a doll looking very much like the doll we all know and love. 

I never liked the Raggedy Ann dolls as a child and I never read any of the books.  I actually thought the dolls were a little frightening.  They look like clown faces to me and I do not like clowns.  I was afraid of anyone wearing a mask as a child.  I always felt like there was something to be feared behind the mask.  

But it seems Raggedy Ann and Andy live on in many variations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Counter